- Amzica, Florin Universitι de Montrιal, Canada
- Burrone, Juan Kings College, London, UK
- Buzsáki, György Rutgers University, NJ, USA
- Chelazzi, Leonardo University of Verona, Verona, Italy
- Engert, Florian Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA
- Hromαdka, Tomα Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA
- Hübener, Mark Max Planck Institute of Neurobiology, Martinsried, Germany
- Kampff, Adam Champalimaud Foundation, Institute for the Unknown, Lisbon, Portugal
- McNaughton, Bruce Lethbridge University, Lethbridge, Canada
- Monyer, Hannah University of Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
- Mrsic-Flögel, Tom University College London, London, UK
- Murthy, Venkatesh Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA
- Nikolić, Danko Max Planck Institute for Brain Research, Frankfurt, Germany
- Roska, Botond Friedrich Miescher Institute, Basel, Switzerland
- Rumpel, Simon Institute for Molecular Pathology (IMP),Vienna, Austria
- Singer, Wolf Max Planck Institute for Brain Research, Frankfurt, Germany
- Muresan, Raul Coneural, Romanian Institute of Science and Technology, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- Albeanu, Florin Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL), Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA
- Dhawale, Ashesh National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bangalore, India & CSHL, NY, USA
- Gupta, Priyanka National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bangalore, India & CSHL, NY, USA
- Modi, Mehrab N. National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bangalore, India
- Jurjut, Ovidiu Max Planck Institute for Brain Research, Frankfurt, Germany
- Ţincaş, Ioana Coneural, Romanian Institute of Science and Technology, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- Moca, Vasile Coneural, Romanian Institute of Science and Technology, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- Banciu, Manuela Faculty of Biology and Geology, Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- Basic Optics.
- Optical bench exercises Lenses, optical systems, illumination methods, basic microscopy techniques. How to custom build different kinds of microscopes.
- Noise measurements and photo-sensors Shot noise, optical detectors, amplifiers, NI-DAQ, CCD cameras, photodiodes, photo multiplier tubes (PMTs).
- Light and fluorescence microscopy Fluorescence, FRAP, photo-activation, photo-conversion. Point spread function measurements, basic image analysis (deconvolution, denoising, PCA).
- Basic electrophysiology Extracellular and intracellular recordings. LFP; single unit, multi-unit extracellular recordings, tetrodes, electrode arrays; patch clamp.
- Fluorescence probes GFP, GFP based chromophores, organic calcium dyes, genetically encoded calcium dyes, pHluorins, voltage sensitive dyes.
- Techniques for electrophysiological data analysis.
- Synaptic plasticity Long and short term plasticity. Homeostasis.
- Intrinsic Optical Imaging Visual, auditory & barrel cortex; olfactory bulb.
- Scanning microscopy Confocal and two-photon microscopy. Students will build a custom two-photon microscope.
- Optogenetics Light activated ion channels and pumps.
- Awake head fixed optical and electrophysiological recording strategies in rodents.
- Viral approaches to label, monitor and alter neuronal circuits.
- Neuronal functional connectivity and neuronal connectomics Serial electron-microscopy and trans-synaptic labeling methods.
- Synchrony and oscillations.
- Cortical attention, sparse neuronal codes.
- Decision making, uncertainty, neuro-modulatory systems.